Date of construction: 1861(old). 1975(new)
Location: 37º 12,9’N / 07º 07,6’W. Active
This is located in the town of Cartaya, on the point of the same name on the left bank of the mouth of the river Piedras, close to the existing port facilities.
Visits: The old lighthouse can be visited subject to pre-booking.
Description: The old lighthouse was built to the design by Ángel Mayo and was intended to mark the mouth of the river Piedras at the point where Punta de Gato used to be. Shaped like a tapering column with a decagonal lantern that resembles to lighthouse of Mesa Roldán (Almeria), it is 13 metres high and its light can be seen for 16 miles. After 1930, the longer range of the Mazagón lighthouse meant that it began to decline in importance, so its light was replaced by a permanent acetylene lamp. It eventually ceased operations in 1976 when the new lighthouse became operative.
The construction of the new lighthouse was necessary because a taller structure (31 metres) was required to complete the navigational arc between Ayamonte and Huelva. Cylindrical in shape and built of reinforced concrete, it is similar to the lighthouse at the entrance to the port of Huelva. Its light has a range of 24 miles.
Information taken from the publication LOS FAROS DE LA COSTA ANDALUZA, author T. Falcón Márquez, Edición Consejería de Obras Públicas y Transportes y del Boletín del Instituto Andaluz de Patrimonio Histórico.