National no.: 08700
Date of construction: 1861
Location: 37º 8,2’N / 06º 49,5’W. Active
It is located in Mazagón in the municipal limits of Moguer, standing on the point of El Picacho, which is also used as an alternative name for the lighthouse, 600 metres from the sea and at a height of 30 metres.
Visits: only exterior.
Description: The group consists of a 20-metre high tower attached to a rectangular house (20.5mx24.3m). It is made of whitewashed masonry with brickwork on its vertices and was renovated in 1941 and 1958. The height of the lamp is 50 metres above sea level. It was originally built as a guidance light at the entrance to the port of Huelva. It was illuminated in 1901 and the reforms that were carried out in 1925 and 1930 gave it incandescent lighting with a range of 30 miles. It was electrified in 1949 and its range increased to 42 miles.
A new lighthouse was built opposite Mazagón lighthouse in 1981, to a design by Juan Gonzalo, situated on the head of the breakwater at the entrance to the port of Huelva, on a concrete tower rising 26 metres in height. It is cylindrical and lit by solar panels that are powered by solar energy. Both lighthouses mark the entrance to the port of Huelva.
Information taken from the publication LOS FAROS DE LA COSTA ANDALUZA, author T. Falcón Márquez, Edición Consejería de Obras Públicas y Transportes y del Boletín del Instituto Andaluz de Patrimonio Histórico.